Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Valentine's Death


This story begins the day before Valentine’s; there wasn’t much happening in the Gen Ward, no organized rounds since my favorite doctor and chief of medicine, Dr. Mcooley was absent.  He’s the one to keep things organized and actually takes the time to talk us through his thought process concerning each and every patient.  And he’s quite good despite the ever-limited resources he has at his disposal.  Since there wasn’t much keeping me on the general wards yesterday, I decided to mosey onward to casualty (their ED) where I no sooner stepped into the department, I saw a few guys carrying in a 20 something man who was clearly unresponsive and just writhing about.  Initially, my first impression was that he was seizing, but after we extracted a very limited history from his non-English speaking friends and family, apparently he was delirious and agitated, possibly from alcohol withdrawal.  He was a chronic consumer of the local gin (Konyagi) taking approximately 500ml or more each day.  3 days ago, he grew sick with headache, fever, vomiting & diarrhea and stopped consuming his regular alcohol intake as a result.  For the past 3 days his agitation and altered mental status had only worsened, and upon his presentation to the ED, all of us medical students were thinking that this was probably a case of delirium tremens from alcohol withdrawal.  With the onset of his other sxs occurring prior to abstinence, there could be another etiology to consider (and the docs here were great to think about cerebral malaria and typhoid) BUT they completely dismissed the idea of alcohol withdrawal, which delirium tremens (DTs) if not properly managed will kill a person.  Yesterday, I left the ED thinking that I would follow up with the patient in the morning since he was admitted to the men’s ward.  When I left him, he was properly sedated with benzos (fills a similar receptor to alcohol and helps offset the withdrawal syndrome that causes sweats, tachycardia, delirium and seizures and potentially leads to death).  Anyway, I went to the ward this morning and found it odd that I couldn’t find my patient.  As soon as I stepped into morning report though, I heard them talk about my guy; he was treated with quinine to address possible severe malaria and was also given cipro to address a possible typhoid.  I don’t think any definitive tests were actually done.  They cost money that most cannot afford; also the tests are rarely done in an expedited manner as to actually help in appropriate management.  We did do a rapid antigen test for malaria while in the ED the day prior which was negative (yeah, it’s a poor test in a high prevalence area…whether it be negative or positive, doesn’t really matter.  If the doc thinks it’s malaria, that’s the treatment the patient will get…which begs the question, what’s the point of the test???)  In morning report, after the intern expounded upon what was done for the patient, she nonchalantly continued that at 0100 this morning, the patient died; there was no discussion as to why the patient may have died, no question to what could have been done differently in patient care.  I asked them if alcohol withdrawal and management was a consideration during the whole event.  Apparently b/c the sxs of headache and vomiting began BEFORE the patient stopped alcohol, there had to be a better explanation for his current condition.  They didn’t seem to get that alcohol withdrawal could be a huge complication of the patient’s condition independent of WHY the patient stopped drink, and so he died.  He died I believe from the dangerous DTs that he was experiencing because the doctors refused to address his alcohol abuse and withdrawal.  Instead they fixated on a possible infectious cause.  So yes, I believe there was patient neglect and mismanagement and he died needlessly on Valentine’s Day.  I will add that although I am here seeing all this happen before me, I am still trying to put the pieces together.  I have not personally reviewed the patient’s full chart, but I have only heard from the medical student and intern after asking them about the case.   

I will further add that from a couple of posts ago, I was shocked about the management of a patient with thrombocytopenia (low platelets) of unknown cause and bleeding. Since there were no platelets available to do replacement therapy, the attending ordered that Vit K be given.  I had said that this would do nothing for the patient b/c it acts in a totally different way that can’t substitute for platelet deficit, BUT I found out that this attending is Dr. Moshi, a known drunk on the wards.  He was probably intoxicated that day as he is most days (which doesn’t make it right, but gives me some kind of reasoning behind his crazy decisions!) And I kid you not!  All the med students and interns have come to expect this behavior from their attending.  This is one incredible, unforgettable place I’ve found myself the past several weeks! 

On a lighter note, I wanted to mention some cultural differences I’ve observed between Americans and Tanzanians concerning the word love, fitting for today : )  My local friends have come to call me ‘lava friend’ as so the pronunciation sounds in their local accents, but they really mean ‘lover friend.’  To my Western mind, lovers are people who have sex, definitely something MORE than platonic friendship anyway.  Not here.  Yesterday the night security guard Emanuel took the night off, and I asked our cook Witness where he was.  She questioned me concerning my inquiry about Emanuel and went on to add, “you love Emanuel.”  Initially it felt weird how loosely they throw around the word ‘love’ here, but I’m getting used to it, and I know that they mean nothing by it.  I think it’s much easier for this people to be affectionate since their society is still quite closed off when broaching sex…and thus the lines in the sand are rarely skewed, and they have the freedom in their usage of ‘love’ expressions.   That’s my observation anyway…Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment