Sunday, February 24, 2013

Peds snapshot


I’ve seen some shocking things while working on pediatrics so far.  I went to the NICU last week on Friday, but to be honest, I couldn’t really stand the humid 90F incubator room for too long; widespread heating is required for lack of individualized incubators.  While there isn’t much we can do for them medically given our setting, we ended up feeding this little babe who was found back in January, lying (and crying) in the waste contents of a latrine.  Maggot scars are all over his body, and while he seems fine medically (at least from the basic investigations that they can do here) he is failing to thrive.  But that is no wonder.  The hospital is understaffed, and so he may get fed every 3 or 4 hours but otherwise, there is no one to pay him attention and show him love.  Also, because he is without a birth mother, he only gets this cow milk based formula, which I’m pretty sure is lacking in a lot of the essential vitamins (and fed from a little cup…they don’t even have proper bottles here!)  Cows milk is really bad for infants in general.  Food products aren’t fortified like we have come to expect.  When working on the pediatric floor, I’m amazed to see so much marasmus, kwashikor, and rickets (diseases of malnutrition).  And when I ask about incorporating vitamins into the diet, the interns and attendings just laugh because vitamins apparently are not even an option here, not that they are too expensive for any local to afford, but literally there are none for purchase.  It’s incredible to me that so many of the wretched diseases that I am confronting should not even be an issue, and it’s heart breaking that once these children do succumb to disease, there is very little that is offered for intervention (as is all too commonplace).  The money and the resources just aren’t available.  For a lot of these sick kids, the crux of the matter is social and economical, requiring a bit of education and money. 

We have also seen the typical pneumonias and bronchiolitis and maybe even some unconfirmed malaria cases; nothing here is legitimately diagnosed.  Again, it’s the best guess based on the limited studies we have at our disposal (and the history and physical, of course).  AND when we do get labs, even labs as simple as a blood picture, we can’t really trust it.  Every practicing physician at Mt. Meru knows that the laboratory is unreliable, so order tests at your own risk.  Absolutely mind-blowing.  Anyway, I’m digressing, let me expound upon these before mentioned febrile illnesses.  Several of these children with the probable pneumonias are seizing from fever.  It looks like here instead of treating the seizure by decreasing the fever with Tylenol, they go for the big guns (completely contraindicated) using a heavy duty sedative and anticonvulsant, phenobarbital.  Now any doc knows that phenobarbital also decreases respiratory effort so watch out when using it.  It is horrific that so many of the kids I’ve seen here are getting phenobarbital to treat their febrile seizures.  Apparently, when diclofenac (another NSAID like ibuprofen that they love to use) or paracetamol (Tylenol) doesn’t do the trick, they reach for phenobarbital and Valium.  CRAZINESS!  Here even the simple treatment of bronchiolitis (which back in the States is inhaled albuterol and maybe a course of systemic steroids to calm down the inflammatory process) baffles me.  I think their medications are in such short supply or the parents can’t afford the medications, the staff have to resort to nebulized saline solution and hope for the best.  I’ve also seen oral albuterol being given which takes a lot longer to take effect and is not nearly as effective.  I was told also, for a child with bronchoconstriction that epinephrine instead of albuterol could be used because albuterol is ineffective in children under 6mos of age.  That’s really quite false and is not the current recommendation back home, but again, I don’t have to understand everything that goes on here.  I’m just taking it in and pondering my reflections.   

The most shocking thing I’m seeing by far is the nutritional deficits that are killing these kids.  We had a child on the floor who died just a day or so ago from rickets (Vit D deficiency which interferes with bone mineralization).  And since we have no vitamins, the best we can do is educate about proper nutrition and hope for compliance, truly shocking. 

Besides the bleak yet beneficial hospital experience, I am truly enjoying life here.  I wrote a couple weeks ago about settling into the rhythm of African life.  I love that Witness gives us a predictable breakfast variety depending on the day of the week, yet provides consistency with brewing coffee each morning.  I love that Polo is our day security guard who comes every Wednesday to relieve Innocent on his day off.  Polo is a dear older Tanzanian who doesn’t speak a lick of English but is so friendly and reminds me a little of my grandpa. I really look forward to our meetings each week.  And I’ve been having fantastic discussions with my ‘lover friend’ Emanuel our night security guard, hearing about his aspirations to start up his own real estate company and maybe do schooling to become a teacher.  His was the church I visited my first week in Arusha.  Sunday evening is Emanuel’s night off, so that’s when Solomon comes who has given me equally intriguing conversation telling me tales of his father’s death at an early age making him grow up all the faster to support his mother and sister; and yet all the hardships of life have not squashed his aspirations of being something more than a night guardsmen; he too wants to further his education, a privilege that we too often overlook as such, instead calling it by another name, drudgery (at least I have).  And the conversations are not one sided; they like to ask me about America aka Obamaland (as they call it) with questions like ‘why do you like guns so much?’ or ‘why don’t you like Obama?’ Even if for but a brief time, these Tanzanians have been my family, and as I’ve settled into the ebb and flow of the slow-going lull that is typical of Africa, my Tanzanian family has been a welcomed comfort. 

***I am fully aware that some of my housemates might read this and take offense to that last paragraph.  All you Aussies, Brits, and fellow countrymen have been a fun-loving bunch as well :) Still, I think I depended on your company too heavily, when the whole point of being in Tanzania is to experience the true flavor of the land, which is at the heart of the locals NOT the other mzungus.  Still fun getting to know you all! ***  

No comments:

Post a Comment